Equal opportunity through education has always been the pillar of American society. But today, the radical right has robbed countless Americans of that opportunity, especially here in South Carolina, with their relentless attacks on public schools and the soaring cost of higher education—all to appease their corporate donors. The results are staggering.
According to the SC Kids Count, roughly two thirds of our 8th graders are scoring below standards in math, while two thirds of 3rd graders aren’t reading at grade level. Our teacher salaries are among the lowest in the nation; our schools are falling apart; and, our children aren’t learning. College tuition in South Carolina is more than $12,600 a year, which is nearly half of the average household’s annual income–and the 9th highest in the nation. With more than a third of all student borrowers in the U.S. now either delinquent or in default on their loans, disaster is looming.
Annabelle Robertson believes that all Americans have a fundamental right to quality public education which prepares them to succeed in life. That’s why she is committed to:
- Raising teacher salaries
- Rebuilding a state-of-the-art K-12 infrastructure
- Expanding access to early childhood education
- Making all public colleges and tech schools debt-free
- Establishing new apprenticeship programs, especially in high-tech industries
- Recruiting our best teachers for our most disenfranchised schools, and
- Eliminating the racial disparity infecting our public schools.